The Golden Valley Historical Society (GVHS) was organized in 1974. Its mission is to find, preserve, and disseminate the historical knowledge about the Village/City of Golden Valley, Minnesota. In pursuit of this mission, GVHS collects oral histories, photographs, video histories, and three-dimensional objects. In 1997, GVHS acquired the City's oldest church as a permanent home and maintains a repository of its collections there. The historic church is often used as a wedding venue and hosts a variety of speakers and presentations.
The Little White Church
The Little Church in the Valley is the oldest public building in Golden Valley. Built in 1882, it was originally a nondenominational one room church established by early pioneers. Eight years after its construction, it moved to its current location, 6731 Golden Valley Road, by horses and mules pulling the frame structure almost a mile over rolling logs.
Over the years, it became a home of a Methodist congregation, the Golden Valley Christian Science Society, and since July 1, 1997, the Golden Valley Historical Society.
In 2013, GVHS began building a museum onto the original church to help visitors learn more about Golden Valley. The construction of the museum was completed in 2014, and after designing and installing our permanent exhibit, the Golden Valley Historical Society Museum officially opened in the fall of 2018.